Friday, August 8, 2008

Baby Card

You may have realised that I don't make a lot of baby cards. My family and friends have all had their children so I don't have a real need. I do have a few stamp sets that are for babies or can be used for baby cards just in case I need to use them for workshops or the need does arise for a baby card to be made.

Well that need arose last night as one of my girls teachers leaves on Maternity Leave today. Of course my daughter had to ask last minute if we could get her a little something, so off we went to the shop after dinner and considering we don't know what she is having we just purchased some white singlets and white socks. Then we went to get some wrapping paper but everything was gender specific so we decided to use a wrapping paper we already had at home that was suitable (not specifically baby but close enough) and then she wanted a card. I said "Hello, don't you think I can make the card??" Bit silly having all these stamps and then purchasing a card, don't you think??? So off we went home and the pressure was on to get something done right then before she had to go to bed.

So I reach for the Bundle of Joy set and she wanted the teddy on the card. Next step was choosing the colours so it was reasonably neutral (not definitely for a boy or a girl). We chose Close to Cocoa so we could have a brown teddy and then out comes the Colour Coach. Co-ordinating colours were Sage Shadow, Barely Banana and Pixie Pink. I decided to leave the Pixie Pink out as the Sage Shadow and Barely Banana I thought could be used for either a boy or a girl but most definitely adding the Pixie Pink would have gone more towards a girl.

I started out by stamping the Teddy onto some Watercolor Paper and then using the Close to Cocoa inkpad and my aqua painter proceeded to watercolour the teddy. That done, what next????  Hhmmmm.... I've got an idea. What if I use the Big Deal Alphabet and stamp out Baby? So I decided I would stamp colour on colour for the letters and stamped 2 b's on the Sage Shadow using Sage Shadow ink and the a and y onto Barely Banana using Barely Banana ink. I then cut them out. What now????  Well what if I layer them onto the Close to Cocoa, yes that looks pretty good. Now if I make the main card Sage Shadow and I'll stamp the card using the Sage Shadow ink with the moon and stars from Bundle of Joy just to give it a lift, then maybe layer the Close to Cocoa onto some Barely Banana, yes that's looking okay. Then if we cut the teddy out and we can put him about here...... So what do you think Courtney (my daughter)? Good. Okay so now I just have to stick it all down....  Wait. What if I stamp this dotty image onto the Close to Cocoa before I put the letters on?? Hmmm (says Courtney). Well I'll give it a go and if we don't like it I'll just flip the piece over.....

So Courtney should I put the letters on Stampin' Dimensionals? I'll put the teddy on some too. "Yeah" say Courtney. So I add dimensionals, and stick everything down and this is what we ended up with. I'm not sure if it still needs something but all my girls and hubby thought it came out okay and was fine as is.

Bundle of Joy & Big Deal 

Of course the card given to her teacher doesn't have my watermark on it.....hahaha

 

What do you think? Did it turn out okay or do you think it still needs something?

 

Supplies:
Stamp sets: Bundle of Joy, Big Deal Alphabet
Paper: Close to Cocoa, Sage Shadow, Barely Banana, Watercolor Paper
Inks: Sage Shadow, Barely Banana, Close to Cocoa, Stazon Black.
Accessories: Stampin' Dimensionals, Aqua Painter, Paper Snips.



 photo Nikki4.png

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki,
I think your baby card looks gorgeous! Definitely a colour change from the normal pastels for babies, but I love it!!
Cheers, Niki G